Sunday, November 2, 2008

Day of the Dead



The Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos in Spanish) is a holiday celebrated mainly in Mexico and by people of Mexican heritage (and others) living in the United States and Canada. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and relatives who have died. The celebration occurs on the 1st and 2nd of November, in connection with the Catholic holy days of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day which take place on those days. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts. (Courtesy of Wikipedi)

I don't celebrate this but thought you'd like to know about it...it's why my avatar is in skully clothes!:)


Been reading the Twilight book this weekend and sooooo love it...so hard to put down! I ordered the other part of the series from Amazon and can't wait to read them too. I didn't even know there was a movie coming out...November 21! Joined the group on Ravelry too and found this cool link to find out your vampire name! Mine is......

The Great Archives determine you to have gone by the identity: Duchess of The Far East
Known in some parts of the world as: Cerridwen of Blood
The Great Archives Record: Thirsty, unstoppable and vicious.

Went to the Charlie Brown Farm store today to get me some more local honey and also got some Christmas presents. Then came home and took a nice long nappy! Got up and am knitting on my Loppem, have about 6.5 in. completed and am starting my third skein. My goal is to knit at least 2-4 rows daily on it. Also working on the crocheted baby blanket at night. Rented movies for the weekend so this crocheted blanket is the perfect tv watching project. Rented: The Love Guru (funny); Ironman (really good); Baby Mama; and Made of Honor.

6 comments:

Ms. Diva said...

Welcome to the Twilight frenzy! Not ashamed to say once had a dream about Eward! =)

Unknown said...

Love the Twilight! Love it!

SissySees said...

I read the whole saga over the weekend. I'm so glad I found a collection of all four books... ;)

I'd rather be a wolf though, thanks much... The rest of y'all can scrap over Edward. I'll take the wolves.

Marisol said...

Aren't these books great! Major page turners!!! I'm on book 3 now and lilttle sister trailing behind on book 2:)

Thanks for all the links:)

g-girl said...

I love that you schooled your blog readers on Dia de los Muertos. My school actually does this huge celebration every year. We do the sugar skulls, the altar, dancing, music, food, the whole bit and at our school it isn't just those of Mexican heritage but Latin heritage in general that celebrate it. Did you watch Baby Mama yet? How was it? :)

Dawn said...

I haven't started to check this series out yet. I saw it at Sam's Club but bought too many other goodies instead! LOL!