Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Superstitions...

If you're from the South you will recognize this yearly endeavor. It is supposed to bring you good luck and prosperity for the year to eat black eyed peas on New Years day. This is from a time when the South was mostly unsettled, and black eyed peas were fed to the cattle. The settlers had to eat the black eyed peas fed to the cattle to survive the harsh winter until supplies could come, and it was the black eyed peas that were meant for the cattle that kept them alive.

Another superstition is to not wash clothes on this day. It is believed that if you do a loved one will die. The two above are practiced religiously by my family and have since I was little. I was surprised to find more New Years superstitions but we won't mention them here in case they be adopted by my family!:) Do you have any rituals you do for New Years?

May we all have a wonderful New Years!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I sleep late and watch football. But I don't think those are superstitions. ;)

NatRed2 said...

Never take the tree down til after New Years Day-bad luck for the year if you do.

At Christmas we break the Pepperment Pig and eat a piece for good luck in the new year. The bigger the piece the better your luck.

And don't forget to kiss a fool for good luck on New Years Eve.

Probably all of them were made up by our own families... I think Mark tried making some up one year - like you have to drink a shot of Patron for good luck... I think that was just to get us drunk ;)

Anonymous said...

FREE Unlimited Streaming TV Shows, Movies, Music, Games, Money, Books, and College Educations (Stanford, Oxford, Notre Dame and more) http://www.InternetSurfShack.com

Marisol said...

Funny about the superstitions... I've heard about eating 12 gapes right after midnight for good luck. Also to make sure you wear red underwear:)

Where does all this stuff come from --like who made it up:)

Happy New year!

SissySees said...

Yep. I was raised hearing that for every black eyed pea you ate, you'd make another dollar in the new year... And you have to serve 'em with stewed tomatoes... YUM!

I didn't do laundry yesterday, and now I know why!

foodandknitgirl said...

I forgot to eat my blackeyed peas. oops!! Althought maybee this year I will have better luck.

g-girl said...

i hadn't heard of those superstitions before. in my family, it's all about things that are round..you should wear things with dots/circles, and my mom also makes food that are round..oh and we always have grapes too!