Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kool Fun!

I'm wanting to learn all the forms of dying this year.
Starting out with Kool-Aid dying...
Wound some sport weight wool into a skein form.
Tie it off in certain areas to keep it from coming undone.
Soak it in some Soak or Dawn water...
Mix the Kool-Aid (no sugar) with water in your jars to the desired colors you like.
I put1.5 packs of Grape in one and 1/2 in the other. Don't overfill with water or when you add your yarn it will overflow. For the Cherry I did 1/4 in one and 3/4 in the other. Take your wet skeins and gently squeeze water out...add it to your colors! Where you have the ties holding your skeins together make sure it is able to absorb the dye (I didn't think of this). Also another good thing to do is wear gloves or you'll have purple/red hands (yup forgot this too!) Place jars into a pot with about two in. of water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. When its cool take out your skeins and rinse them off...gently squeeze excess water out and hang to dry! What is totally awesome is when you take out the skeins the water in your jars is clear....clear because all the color went into your skeins! Jimmy thought this was cool!
Whalla...finished skeins! Wind into a cake when dry and get your knit on!:) So much fun! Hopefully I'll get time to try Easter egg dying today!

On a side note was able to get back to swim today...took it easy and worked out in the pool for about 1/2 an hour...felt so good to be back in the water sniffing chlorine! Also finished the preemie hat I was testing out the square needles on. Wish the cable was a wee bit bigger but love working with them. I do feel like I'm going to rip that cable right off, don't know why but it just doesn't feel that strong to me! The needles are guaranteed so I guess if I do we'll see how there customer service is!

Mother's Day is just around the corner....great gifts for Mom's at wolfefarms.net!




8 comments:

km said...

Fun KoolAid dying. I like your semi-solid results.

Debbie T said...

I love Kool-Aid dying!!! You do know this can be done in the microwave too, right? You will need someone to help you put both jars at the same time in the oven, but it's much faster...or at least, I think so.
I can hardly wait to see how your skeins knit up!!

p.s. I love my soaps and lotions I got from Wolfe Farms. Makes my skin incredibly soft and I LOVE the scents!!! Thank you!

SissySees said...

Neat! I want to see the egg dyeing. That's what someone sent the Knight a couple of years ago...

Courtney said...

They are very pretty!I love the red

Lapdog Creations said...

fun, fun, fun!

Dawn said...

Easy Peasy! Told ya! :O)

Fru-la-la! said...

gorgeous yarn pron!!! droooool!!

g-girl said...

so what's next after kool-aid dying? :)